Learn to Swim
The Cary Park District offers group, semi-private, and private swim lessons to children as young as 6 months to teens and across all experience levels. Lessons are taught by certified American Red Cross Learn to Swim Program Water Safety Instructors and Lifeguards.
Lessons aim to get the newest swimmers comfortable with the water and provide introduction on basic strokes and skills. More experienced swimmers practice and learn more advanced strokes and skills. Students will progress through the program according to their skill level and ability.
Swim lesson information, including description of the levels can be found in the summer brochure. Registration is accepted online or at the Community Center.
2020 Swim Lesson Guidelines
- Please take your child's temperature at home prior to coming to swim lessons. If your child or anyone in your household has a temperature of 100.4F or higher or is experiencing any symptoms consistent with COVID-19 please do not come to swim lessons.
- All swim lesson participants must enter through the side gate.
- All swim lesson participants should arrive dressed to swim.
- On the first day of each session, there will be visible landmarks on the concrete just inside the side gate that are 6 feet apart. Please remain on a designated mark until checked in by the swim lesson coordinator.
- Changing areas and lockers will not be available. Bathrooms and showers are available.
- All swimmers and spectators should remain no less than 6-feet away from one another while on the pool deck.
- Seating will not be available for spectators; spectators may bring their own chair.
- Masks must be worn at all times on the pool deck by anyone 2 and older.
- Swim lesson participants should not wear a mask in the water.
- Instructors will be wearing both a mask and a plastic full face shield while in the water teaching.
- Kick boards and dive rings will be the only swim lesson equipment used during swim lessons.
- Dive rings and kick boards will be assigned 1 per child and kept with the child for the duration of the lesson and disinfected at the end of each lesson.
- Dive rings will only be used for mastering and practicing the "submerged retrieval" skill.
- Infant and parent participants should bring their own toys to use with their child; toys will not be provided.
- Private swim lesson participants may bring their own equipment for use during their lesson.
- Life jackets will not be used during swim lessons.
- Diving board day will only be included in levels 3, 4, 5, and 6 for those not needing assistance from the instructor and not needing to wear a life jacket.
- When each swim lesson is complete, participants are expected to promptly gather their belongings and exit through the side gate. Exiting through the locker rooms will not be permitted.
|Days||Dates||Time||Level 1||Level 2||Level 3||Level 4||Level 5||Level 6||R/NR Fee|
|Mon & Wed||7/13-7/22||6:00-6:35 pm||10604||10614||.||.||.||.||$30/$60|
|Mon & Wed||7/27-8/5||6:00-6:35 pm||10606||10616||.||.||.||.||$30/$60|
|Days||Dates||Time||Level 2||Level 3||Level 4||R/NR Fee|
|Days||Dates||Time||Any Level||R/NR Fee|
Infant and Preschool Aquatics Program