Located in Hoffman Park next to the dog park, Walnut Hollow is a sprawling, 18-hole course set on 36 acres of land. The course, which traverses some of the best landscapes including some flat and some rolling terrains, is designed to be enjoyed by players of all ages and abilities. Players encounter tree hedgerows, old agriculture fields, and farmstead areas along the course to create an interesting and challenging experience for players of all ages and skill levels. Concrete tee pads with signage on hole location, distance and par are at each hole. A smaller 6-hole family course provides a shorter track perfect for introducing the sport to children and adult beginners. Plus, an on-site parking lot, bathrooms and covered picnic area set the scene for a family afternoon of disc golf fun and picnicking. The course is open dawn to dusk and is free for all to enjoy. Players must provide their own discs to play.
Walnut Hollow is located at Hoffman Park, 2011 West Main Street in Cary. From Route 14 head south on Cary-Algonquin Road to West Main Street. Then turn west on West Main Street. Follow West Main Street until it ends at the parking lot access point.
Open everyday dawn to dusk
- 18 hole golf course
- 6-hole family / short course
- Concrete tee pads with signs including hole location, distance, and par
- Distinctive landscapes and unique elevations
- Parking lot
- Restrooms at the dog park by the parking lot and near hole 1. Portalet near hole 6 target / hole 7 tee pad
- Trash receptacles
- Designed by Dana Vicich
How to Play
Disc golf is similar to traditional golf. Instead of clubs and balls like regular golf, the playing equipment of disc golf features a wide variety of plastic discs or frisbees that come in many different shapes and weights. The disc is thrown from a tee into a basket which corresponds to a hole in golf. The person with the lowest score at the end of a round of disc golf is the winner.
Recommended group size is 3 – 5 players to ensure speed of play. It takes about 30 minutes to play through the short course and 2 – 3 hours to play the long course.
Rules of Play
- The purpose of the game is to get a disc from the tee to the basket with the least amount of throws possible. You may use a selection of discs.
- Players must tee off from the designated tee area. Be sure other players and park users are out of range.
- After the initial throw, the player farthest from the basket throws next. Subsequent shots will be thrown from where the disc came to rest. Player will throw as many times as needed to get the disc to rest inside the basket.
- When the disc has been released, the player may follow through. From within 10 meters (approx. 33′) to the basket, the throw is called a putt and can not be stepped over.
- Each hole is complete when the disc comes to rest inside the basket or chains.
- The player who has completed all holes with the lowest total score is the winner.
Please be polite to other users of the area and leave the course in good condition. Walnut Hollow is a non-smoking facility.