The Green Team
In 2009, the Cary Park District formed the Green Team made up of staff members across all departments. The Green Team has assisted in creating and implementing energy saving and recycling initiatives for the agency.
- All District vehicles meet and/or exceed EPA Clean Fuel Fleet Emissions Standards output.
- There are four trucks and three mowers in the agency’s fleet that run on propane.
- During the Maintenance Garage renovation, seven sun tubes were installed thereby reducing the need for overhead lights to regularly be turned on.
- LED lights were installed at the Hoffman Park Dog Park. In addition, exterior lights throughout the Park District will be changed over to LED lights as they are needed.
- The restroom at the Hoffman Park Dog Park is powered by the wind spire installed there.
- The windmill at Hoffman Park pumps water to the Community Garden cistern from the Hoffman Park pond.
- Recycling is provided in all facilities and high use park sites.
- The agency also recycles all scrap metal, fluorescent lighting, oil and engine coolant, vehicle batteries, tires, computers, and all single use and rechargeable batteries.
Naturalized Plantings & Natural Areas
- Naturalized plantings that require less water and maintence are planted at park sites and outside of facilities when possible.
- Natural areas provide a natural habitat for wild life and reduce carbon from the air.
Fertilizer and Pesticides
- Pesticides are only used as necessary
- Only low nitrogen and phosphate-free organic fertilizer is districtwide.