- All District vehicles meet and/or exceed EPA Clean Fuel Fleet Emissions Standards output.
- There are seven trucks and three mowers in the agency’s fleet that run on propane.
- During the Maintenance Garage renovation, seven sun tubes were installed thereby reducing the need for overhead lights to regularly be turned on.
- Motion sensors for lights were installed in the locker room, restrooms, the break room, and office area at the Maintenance Garage.
- LED lights were installed at the Hoffman Park Dog Park. In addition, exterior lights throughout the Park District will be changed over to LED lights as they are needed.
- The restroom at the Hoffman Park Dog Park is powered by the wind spire installed there.
- The windmill at Hoffman Park pumps water to the Community Garden cistern from the Hoffman Park pond.
- Recycling is provided in all facilities and high use park sites.
- The agency also recycles all scrap metal, fluorescent lighting, oil and engine coolant, vehicle batteries, tires, and computers.
Naturalized Plantings & Natural Areas
- Naturalized plantings that require less water and maintenance are planted at park sites and outside of facilities when possible.
- Natural areas provide a natural habitat for wild life and reduce carbon from the air.
Fertilizer and Pesticides
- Pesticides are only used as necessary
- Low nitrogen and phosphate-free organic fertilizer is used district wide. Organic fertilizer is used when possible.